Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Self Help

Surface reason for reading this book: My sister in law loves it and I thought it would be a fun challenge.
Underneath reason: I feel shitty and unmotivated so why the frak not?

And so started my journey with my first self help book since reading "He's Just Not that Into You."
Behold:

This title is fucking exciting and validating. Anyway, I am about halfway through and the struggle is upon me. Perhaps it's because I haven't come across new ground in this book yet and I'm on chapter 12. As a person that is used to reading for plots and character growth, this is frustrating. So far, I've found the third and the sixth chapters the most helpful. The third chapter is about the importance of living the present and the sixth lists tips for radical self love. And now you know a little bit more about me.
          My favorite thing about this book is her use of quotes. I am a person who has a great enthusiasm for affirmations. Positive self talk, tailored mantras, messages taped up in accessible areas...I am all about it. I found myself highlighting and saving quotes from every chapter read thus far. She has a good mix from Anais Nin to Dolly Parton.
She makes some compelling points about retraining your brain and loving yourself. She's huge on loving yourself. I don't disagree. I believe that how you view a situation effects how you go out addressing it which then affects the outcome. Again, it's just nice to be reminded of this and read it put in a different way. This is the strongest selling point for me.
The one thing I don't like about this book is the 'it's already out there in the universe' talk. It sets off my contrary side. I can be grouch. I'm glad I started reading this book. I'm glad that I plan on coming back to it and finishing it bit by bit. Her tone is a bit more motivational speaker than I usually care for but it's a self-help book.

I would recommend this book for anyone in a shitty mood but open to suggestions.

My favorite quotes thus far:



Being present gets you out of your head


You are more than enough. Avoid comparison like the plague.

You aren’t a better person for feeling guilty or bad about yourself, just a sadder one.











No comments:

Post a Comment